Opened in 1934, The New York Central Railroad, Penn Central, and Conrail used The High Line up until the last train in 1980.
CSX Transportation acquired The High Line with The June 1, 1999 takeover of Conrail, and donated it to New York City in November of 2005.
The first section, Gansevoort Street to West 20th Street, opened June 9, 2009.
Many people wanted The High Line demolished, but thanks to those that fought to preserve it, it stands today. http://www.thehighline.org/